We’re hiring an Executive Director!
Durham for All is seeking an executive director to lead the growth and institutionalization of our innovative local organizing work. The executive director of Durham for All will provide strategic leadership and oversight for the organization, working collaboratively with our board, staff, and membership.
To apply, upload your resume, cover letter and references using our application form. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Durham for All is a people of color-led, 501(c)4 independent political organization. Our mission is to build a multi-racial, cross-class political majority capable of transforming Durham’s local government into a vehicle for racial, economic and political democratization. Through base-building, elections, and direct action/issue campaigns we work to advance five major principles: homes for all, education for all, economy for all, sanctuary for all, and democracy for all.
Over the last three years, our work has played a leading role in electing a wave of progressive and left leaders of color into local office, including city council, district attorney, and sheriff. Over the next three years, we plan to build a base of 10,000 people in Durham to win progressive power at the local and state levels. Because there is no set model for how to build independent political organization, Durham for All is actively engaged in bold exploration of organizing models that apply the best insights of community, electoral, direct action, and union organizing to conditions in Durham.
Durham for All is looking for an executive director to hire, grow, and lead an exemplary staff team. We are looking for someone with a proven ability to supervise staff and build team culture, including:
- providing clear direction and support that enables success and builds commitment in the people they lead;
- planning, organizing, scheduling, and budgeting in an efficient, productive manner
- recruiting and retaining skilled and dependable staff;
- guiding strategic thinking for the organization, including determining opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends;
- communicating the big picture in an inspiring way to staff and membership,
Our ideal candidate would bring a background in fundraising and organizing, with a track record of raising at least $200k from institutional and/or major donors, and readiness to take on leadership and planning of our 2019 & 2020 organizing campaigns. However, we are willing to adapt the position to meet the specific strengths of candidates who have a stronger background in either fundraising or organizing.
A fundraising-focused ED would focus on
- Maintaining annual organizational revenue in the range of $250k-$300k
- Leading major donor & institutional fundraising
- Coordinating grassroots fundraising efforts with organizing staff and Board members
An organizing-focused ED would focus on
- Designing and lead the implementation of our 2019 & 2020 campaigns
- Developing base-building model in collaboration with the board & senior staff by Jan 2020
Fluency in Spanish and/or experience with bilingual organizing is a plus. We highly encourage people of color to apply for this position.
- Strong supervision and communication skills and the ability to lead a collaborative and diverse team.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values of inclusive leadership; and comfort navigating organizational cultures with a variety of committed stakeholders across staff and volunteer / membership positions
- Demonstrated success in raising over $100k through institutional, major donor and grassroots fundraising for at least three years -and/or- in leading successful grassroots organizing campaigns
- Experience guiding organizations through major changes
- A track record helping organizations formalize systems and processes
- Experience facilitating visioning processes and resolving conflict
- Based in Durham, NC or willing to relocate
Benefits & Compensation
This is a full-time, salaried position at $48,000 – $60,000 a year, based on equity, experience and qualifications. We are currently offering a healthcare stipend, but are exploring other options for group coverage. The position also includes a small professional development allowance.
How to Apply
To apply, upload your resume and cover letter using our application form. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We welcome questions as well, which can be addressed to [email protected]